Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lights, Drums, Sweat!

At Just for You
Me and my sister Bineta
HAHAHA Me and Alpha!!!
Lunch yesterday: my first time eating Ethopiean food. This is what 6 of us shared. Yum
Sweeping the floor after supper.

I've decided to stick to telling a good story or two with each blog post rather than a lame summary of my everyday. Ok? Ok!

So I can't remember if I wrote about this yet or not, but anyways, Devin stayed the weekend at my house since her homestay wasn't so awesome. Saturday morning we got out of bed and were getting ready for some showers. The light wasn't turning on in the bathroom so we decided to change the lightbulb with another one out on the deck. Just as we were finishing with this switcher-oo, my sister Bineta came up the stairs. She looked at us funny and asked what we were doing. I explained our problem, she looked at us, rolled her eyes, and said with a smirk "The power is out."

Oh. Whoops.


Last night after a supper of spaghetti noodles and lamb (DELICIOUS), Devin (who now lives across the street from me) and I went out to Just4You, a club/bar that often has large name groups perform there. We had planned on just going out and maybe playing some pool, but there was actually a group playing with a huge crowd. And it just so happened that the group is also the group that comes to our school for our drumming and dancing instruction. They rock! We walked in the door and were greeted immediately by our djembe player for our dance instruction, seated with his family. He came and sat down with us and chatted with us the rest of the night. Way awesome! The music was incredible! A mix of all sorts of African instruments: kora, djembe, sera, kerr, etc etc with singing and dancing. My favorite was probably when the guys just started jamming out on some various drums...if you've seen danceline, this was 10000000 times better! A big name rapper also did a cover and that was rockin. What a great evening.

I am currently sweating after an afternoon of hardcore drumming and dancing! Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment