Friday, February 19, 2010

Happy birthday Leanna!



I was VERY excited for Coca Cola this morning :)
The power went out last night, So Fall and I studied with a flash light while he made me fried eggs for supper

Cultural Center break dance group



Yesterday afternoon after school was way sweet. Some of my classmates recently discovered this cultural center only 2 blocks at most from my house. Here all sorts of people come to sing, dance, paint, and all sorts of art forms. We just walked in the gate and a group of people started talking to us (story of our life). This is one of the coolest places I've ever been to. All sorts of people were all over the place in different sorts of groups. My favorite was a group of incredible breakdancers doing their thing. We stood there and watched them for the longest time while waiting for this show to start in the performing area nearby. These guys had so much talent! I honestly don't know how they can dance like that! One guy even had on a helmet to do headspins. After this, we went to this big performance and the guys did a big number in it, can you say breathtaking?

Man, this morning of class was sure tough. After about an hour of basically a chatting session with the entire group at SIT, we had a sort presentation on Senegalese fabrics. We then hopped in taxis and got out in the middle of a busy market (also another story of our lives here). We walked around all sorts of shops and looked at piles and piles of beautiful fabrics. Made me think of my mom lots! After we had all bought some material, we once again hopped in a clunky yellow and black taxi and got out at a tailors shop, located on the corner of what looked to be an abandoned street. Here we looked through catalogs and practiced some of our new vocabulary words as we explained to the tailor what kind of dresses or skirts we wanted made from the fabric we had just bought. Jess drew a picture of what I described, the tailor took my measurements, and we were told to come back and get our dresses next Wednesday! I'm so excited for a custom made dress out of material that I picked out myself :)

For lunch me and two friends went to this place just around the corner from school. By place, I mean what looks to be a makeshift shack on the side of a road. The usual. We had maafa, which is peanut sauce, rice, and meat. So good. And talk about atmosphere, a shack on the curb. Looking up, I saw that the roof was made out of a mix of chunks of cardboard, old books, calenders, and other misc items. A transparent cloth as a curtain separated the "kitchen" from the "eating area" which was just a table we all sat around. It was so delicious and very cheap. Our dessert was a juice that tasted like a combination of apple juice and iced tea. So good.

Now, heading out to the cultural center again today. Tomorrow our group is going out to some nature refuge. Yay for animals! I think they said we'll be taking fourwheelers around and then spending the afternoon at a beautiful beach. Whoot.

Hope you are still enjoying my random tidbits of Senegalese life! I enjoy reading all the comments!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY ROOMMATE LEANNA!!!! I'm sorry I'm not there to celebrate your special day with 216+ balloons!!!

1 comment:

  1. Amanda - You may not have many comments on this site, but I can tell you alot of people are following your stories. I get comments all the time. Keep up with the interesting tales. We look forward to seeing more of them. Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete