Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Baax ne!

First "real" power outage..writing by candlelight on the balcony.
Sunset prior to the power outage = spectacular
Waiting for lunch "Maafa" peanut sauce, lamb, and rice! Eaten with our hands
Some of our sidewalks at SIT are made out of seashells! Love it!
The courtyard of our school. This is where we first got to meet our host families!!
Pretty flower at school with mosaic tiled sidewalk.

Baax ne! Pronounced "bahc-nah" is my new favorite word in Wolof, which means "good." The first part is said with like a scratch in your throat, making it very unique! I love it! We had our first hour long class of Wolof today, which is an interesting experience considering we learn French along with it. As in, the class is instructed in french while we learn Wolof. Intense. But lovin' it!

Today was also significant because most of us got to meet at least a member or two of our host families for the rest of the semester! My 16 year old brother, Papis came and we laughed the entire time! Our converstaion started with "I'm really bad at speaking French" to which he responded "I'm really bad at speaking English." It was great! He knew where Minnesota is because he's a fan of the timberwolves! whoo! I am much more at ease after meeting him, I hope the rest of my family is just as funny (I've been told that they are and that I will enjoy them.)

Tonight we also had our first real power outage..only lasting around 15 minutes. Even still, our hotel man came around and gave us candles to get by seeing as the sun had set about an hour earlier. It was fun journaling by candlelight.

Once again I apologize that my English is getting pretty terrible. That's fine. Working on my French tons, even with a 20 or so minute conversation with my host brother. Crazy how it works, but its awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment