Wednesday, May 26, 2010

the process of leaving my new home

This was on May 15..the day I had to leave Senegal and come back to the *cold* midwest! First thing I did in the airport was chug down a bottle of ice cold chocolate milk. It was delicious!
Back in Minneapolis where this adventure all started, I was greeted by my family of my parents, my two younger brothers, and my aunt and uncle, who created this wonderful sign for me! Thank goodness for the pronunciation key under the words! She even tried to write some Wolof on the back :) Thank you family!!!
Ousmane and me, the last Senegalese friend I made on the bus over the tarmac to the plane. During our flight I translated things from English to Wolof for him, he was also quite entertaining. He was on his way to visit his oldest son who lives in Atlanta.
Me and Sadic, probably one of the most hilarious kids I ever met, on the flight from Dakar to New York. "I ain't paying no $7 for jelly beans!!!"
My best friends who took me to the airport..Mamadou, Baye, and Go. Baye's sister, Fatim, worked at the airport so I was able to leave to say goodbye after I got my bags checked. Then since there were long lines, she helped me get through quicker.
My Papa, Ibrahima, et moi with our rocking pants! (he was out on a walk when we took the family photo)
Family picture! (with almost my whole family!) Back row: Ndeye (wife of Demba, sister in law to me) with Khady, Mbow (my mom), Faatu Moody (my sister), Dou Dou (brother) with Baby Fatim, Ndeye (wife of Dou Dou, sister in law). Front row: Demba (brother), Dior (daughter of Ndeye and Demba, technically my niece), Maty (daughter of my brother and sister in law who live in Spain, niece), Lape Lape (daughter of Ndeye and Demba, neice), ME - OUMY THIAM!
Mamadou, me and Lamine
Me and Mousa, trying not to cry
Love our shirts together.. at Lamine's and mousa's jean stand!
Writing down phone numbers, emails, and notes in my notebook
Last time at La Duchess, with new and old friends.
Before leaving our hut, Becca and I decided to climb into everyone of our cubby holes (we were sad without Emilia there). hope you like my outfit as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment