Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Another paradise.

So unfortunately I am unable to upload photos here right now from paradise. You'll just have to believe me that I am currently staying at a beautiful on the beach hotel, sleeping in a two story hut and getting served great meals!

I'm DONE DONE DONE with all of my project! I presented right away Monday morning, wasn't the best presentation ever but I just wanted to get it done so that I could really take the time to relax. Since I presented in a garden like terrace area, I spent the afternoon in the sun on the beach, soaking up the rays while journaling, reading, and other writing. Then jumped in the waves a bit. Then back in our beautiful hut, Becca was getting ready for a beach run, so I decided to join her. We ran down the beach as the tide was coming in and the sun was setting. After a fairly tough 30 minute jog (dodging garbage, rocks, fish, and annoying vendors), we finished our run and jumped in the waves a bit. We found Rachel, and they decided to swim out in the waves a way. Then Becca got stung by a jellyfish, and unfortunately I did not have to pee. I broke out my first aid skills and took care of her, using freshly picked aloe from the path by our hut. She's better today. After another delicious meal, just chilled out in our hut a bit, enjoying some real relaxing down time.

This morning we had more presentations. I got to sit back and enjoy, and help try to figure out our very finicky projector to computer connection. After a walk to a boutique, and lunch, Emilia, Becca, and I passed out in our hut, a nice sweaty sleep, due to our delicious lunch of maffe. (peanut sauce, rice, meat) Woke up just in time to catch the bus to an island town south of here with our program. We visited a Catholic church and artisinal shops and even a Muslim/Catholic mixed cemetery. We had an amazing supper of spaghetti, salad, and garlic buttery green beans and have just been chilling out basically since then.

We will be here til Friday morning when we head back to Dakar. Following a little running around the city, one more supper with my family, and the hardest goodbyes of my life, I will have to board a plane and leave this new place I call home.

Until then, I will be relaxing, thinking about life, living in a luxurious hut, washing some clothes by hand, and thinking about life.

This post is hereby dedicated to my Christmas present from Santa Claus - my flash drive. I almost didn't bring this little baby with me to Senegal, but I have to say it is probably one of the most useful things that was in my suitcase. Every student of my program has definitely put it to use countless times and sharing photos is a lot more easier via USB than trying over the slow, unreliable internet. So thank you Santa Claus, love me and the other SIT students.

Mmmm misquitos, I wish you didn't find me tasty.

2 comments:

  1. So now you are a doctor too! Maybe that is why the mosquitoes like you. Enjoy the time you have left. See ya soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So now you are a doctor too! Maybe that is why the mosquitoes like you. Enjoy the time you have left. See ya soon.

    ReplyDelete