Saturday, May 8, 2010

Comme d'habitude

Little sister Khady and friend Bouga. His favorite saying is the title of this post - like usual.
The boys, hanging out in Faatu's room, watching terrible french television, the usual.
My baye fall friend and me, now a yaay fall. Dreureujef Lamp Fall!
Mot and moi - my favorite neighbor boy, we have a secret handshake just a quick note to let the world know I'm still alive here in Senegal. The last week found me busy working 24 hours a day on writing my paper for my final project. I got all 22 pages of it done! whoo!! We had our fete finale (final party) here at school tonight. Some of my siblings and friends came which was really awesome. I also saw two friends from my neighborhood (one being my cousin Alpha) for the first time since I left my family there. It was a shock to see him, juxtaposition to see him sitting next to my little sister, then terribly hard to say goodbye. I've already started shedding many many tears that I know are inevitable. Unfortunately for the last three days, I have been overtired as a result of my project work and now as a result of this, have come down with a terrible cough, which is not conducive to sleep. Which leads me to.. I hope that I get better soon so that laying out on the beach is actually enjoyable. We leave tomorrow morning for Mbour, a nice hotel of little huts, right on the ocean. We will give our final presentations here and hopefully soak up some rays! The plan is to return to Dakar on Friday afternoon, giving us just a few short hours to run around and say goodbyes. My flight leaves just after midnight on the 15, my friend Mamadou told me yesterday that he has a friend that works at the airport and is going to come with me and spend every last second I have in Senegal with me. But I don't want to leave! I don't know how, but I'm going to find a way to come back here. My choked up goodbyes have all been "see you next time" 's and not goodbye. I've already decided that. I also need to find a good way to call Senegal from the states, my Wolof isnt going to get better speaking English you know! I went shopping for some things downtown yesterday, my friend Madot took it upon himself to be my guide, which I was super thankful for.! The vendors see the color of my skin and give me outrageous prices, thinking I wont understand. However, I'm a smart Toubab. I use as much wolof as I can. And joke around. One guy kept speaking to me in English (which drives me NUTS here!) and I kept answering him in Wolof. Which was entertaining. The best part though was that he kept insisting that I've studied Wolof for a long time, because I guess my wolof was really good. That was a great compliment!! I was disappointed though because they had this NBA mural painted on the ceiling, but alas, no Timberwolves. Lakers were there though, so almost!


Alright, well I think I'm going to head home from school, I dont at all like that the end is coming. I will most likely cry myself to sleep tonight (if I can sleep, this cough is insane). Some presentations in the morning and then off to paradise. a tout a l'heure!


1 comment:

  1. Hey girl I love yours pictures and you'e welcome in country of Téranga.
    Mustafa from Paris.

    ReplyDelete